When I came to America from England in 1967, I made sure to bring along my favorite recipe for scones. Served warm with butter, they're perfect for breakfast.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Additional milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in
- butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins. Beat
- milk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring lightly.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1-in. thickness. Cut
- with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes
- or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 scones.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.