English Muffin Bread
"MANY YEARS AGO, a good friend gave me her mother's recipe for this delightful bread, and I've made it ever since. It's perfect for a hearty breakfast, especially when smothered with you favorite jam."
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking
- soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds,
- scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease
- two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon
- batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let
- rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast. Yield: 2
If Cooking for Two: Freeze one loaf to enjoy weeks later.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 83 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium,