The conclusion of the growing season is just the beginning of this garden-fresh hot dish from Kathy Crow of Payson, Arizona. Packed with potatoes, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and more, there's a harvest of vitamins and minerals in every forkful. The recipe makes a lot, so you can share the bounty.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Layer half of the first 10 ingredients in a 3-qt. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Repeat layers. Pour water over the top. Cover
- and bake at 375° for 60-75 minutes or until tender. Uncover;
- bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 140 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.