I adapted this recipe from one I got from a television program. The refried beans were a last-minute inspiration when company was coming and I didn't have enough ground beef thawed out! They add extra goodness to this hearty cheesy dish.Diane McCann, Sterling, Colorado
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic until the meat is
- browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomato soup, picante
- sauce or salsa and refried beans. Heat thoroughly.
- Arrange five tortillas in a 12-in. x 8-in. x 2-in. baking dish,
- tearing tortillas as needed to cover the bottom. Layer with half of
- the meat mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers using
- remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a
- few minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 469 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 976 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.