- 400° for 35-40 minutes or until thermometer reads 180°.
- Broil hens for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, toss mushrooms with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and 1/8 teaspoon
- pepper. Spread in a single layer on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking
- pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes,
- turning once. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil.
- Add the broth, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, bay leaf
- and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium
- heat until mixture is reduced to 1 cup. Combine cornstarch and water
- until smooth; stir into sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in tarragon and mushrooms; heat
- through. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over hens. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 hen half without skin and 1/4 cup sauce) equals 328 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 189 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 45 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.