Eggplant Snack Sticks
My kids love this unusual snackand I like that it's healthy, Coated with Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and garlic salt, the veggie sticks are broiled so there's no guilt when you crunch into them.Mary Murphy of Atwater, California
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium eggplant (1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-in.-thick slices, then cut each
- slice lengthwise into 1/2-in. strips. In a shallow dish, combine the
- wheat germ, cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Dip eggplant
- sticks in egg substitute, then coat with wheat germ mixture. Arrange
- in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Spritz eggplant with cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3
- minutes. Remove from the oven. Turn sticks and spritz with cooking
- spray. Broil 2 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve
- immediately with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 sticks with 2 tablespoons sauce) equals 85 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.