- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Dash each salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Peel and slice eggplant lengthwise into fifteen 1/8-in. thick slices.
- Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let
- stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes
- or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Rinse and drain
- In a large bowl, combine the filling ingredients; set aside.
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the
- bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, salt and
- pepper. Dip eggplant in eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry eggplant
- in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain
- on paper towels.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Spread 2 rounded tablespoons filling over each eggplant slice.
- Carefully roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Spoon
- remaining sauce over roll-ups. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan
- cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until
- bubbly. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 roll-ups equals 726 calories, 48 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 181 mg cholesterol, 3,182 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.