Holiday hostess Robin Olson from Gaithersburg, Maryland looks forward to finding a trayful of these sweet and spicy treats at her Christmas cookie swap every December.
50 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- VANILLA FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, nutmeg and salt; gradually
- add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions. Roll each into a 15-in. log. Cut
- each log into five 3-in. pieces. Place on lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to
- wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, milk and