Eggnog French Toast
There's no last-minute fussing with this breakfast or brunch favorite. Slices of French bread soak up the egg-cream mixture overnight. A little nutmeg and rum extract give the dish its sweet eggnog-like taste.
North Tonawanda, New York
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 24 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar
- Arrange the bread slices in two well-greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in.
- baking pans. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, sugar, extracts
- and nutmeg until blended; pour over bread. Turn bread to coat. Cover
- and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 500° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned,
- turning bread once. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12