Someone always asks for the recipe when I make this rich bread for the holidays or give as gifts. It's easy to make and quite delicious. The bread is a traditional part of the season at my home here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. —Ruth Bickel, Hickory, North Carolina
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and butter until well blended.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg
- mixture alternately with eggnog, beating just until blended. Fold in
- the pecans, raisins and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 70
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 212 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.