Echo Valley Bean Soup
"I came up with this recipe after sampling some excellent bean soup at a sandwich shop in a neighboring town," writes Patricia Crandall from Echo Valley Farm in Inchelium, Washington.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- In a saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside; drain,
- reserving 1-2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute the
- onion and garlic until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, process tomatoes until smooth. Add to the
- onion mixture. Stir in pork and beans and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated
- through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 307 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.