Easy Tortellini Soup
Quick, easy and colorful, this soup makes a cozy cup or even a light lunch on blustery days. Veggies add nutrition, and cheese tortellini makes it hearty and delicious. —Gaye Thompson, St. Charles, Missouri
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini or tortellini of your choice
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Stir in the
- spinach, vinegar and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through and
- spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without cheese) equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat,