Easy Rhubarb Sauce
Celebrate spring with the sweet-tart taste of rhubarb in Jackie Hutshing’s simple sauce. The Sonoma, California cook enjoys it on toast, English muffins and pancakes, but it’s just as good drizzled on pound cake or ice cream.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add rhubarb;
- cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and
- mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon
- peel and nutmeg.
- Serve warm or chilled over pound cake or ice cream. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without cake or ice cream) equals 64 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.