Easy Freezer Pickles
Relates Lucile Johnson of Red Oak, Iowa, "These crisp, no-cook pickle slices are so simple to fix."
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 8 pounds cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- In a large container, combine cucumbers, onion and salt. Let stand
- for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; let stand for 2-3
- hours, stirring often.
- Drain and rinse the cucumber mixture; add sugar mixture and stir
- well. Pack into 1-pt. freezer containers, leaving 1-in. headspace.
- Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw before serving. Yield: 6