This tasty and traditional Irish recipe for buttery potatoes and cabbage is good any time of year. —Pam Kennedy, Lubbock, Texas
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes
- are almost tender, adding the cabbage during the last 5 minutes of
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine green onions and milk. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until
- onions are soft.
- Drain potato mixture. Mash with milk mixture, butter, salt and
- pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.