East Coast Tomato Soup
I put the elements of two recipes together to come up with this tasty seafood soup. I'm not always able to get fresh shellfish on short notice, so I keep a supply of canned fish and shellfish on hand.
4-5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground savory
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion
- is tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until bubbly.
- Gradually add the cream, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, savory
- and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add
- crab; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and parsley if
- desired. Yield: 4-5 servings (about 1 quart).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 317 calories, 22 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.