Dutch Almond Cookies
This recipe comes from ladies of Dutch descent at my sister's church. The pleasant almond flavor pairs well with a cup of coffee.
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 dozen whole almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually
- add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1
- hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness;
- cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place half of the
- circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Crumble 1/2 teaspoon
- almond paste over each; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges to
- Cut a small slit in top of each cookie. Brush with egg white. Press
- an almond in each slit. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until