- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together
- when pressed. Form dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and
- salt. Whisk in milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of the
- hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking
- constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30
- minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate
- until chilled.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thick circle.
- Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, trimming to 1/2 in. beyond edge of
- plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- foil and weights; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until crust is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, spoon dulce de leche into crust. Layer with bananas and
- filling; top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 697 calories, 43 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 195 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.