- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- For chutney, in a saucepan, combine orange juice and sugar. Cook and
- stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Add
- the apricots, cherries, raisins, ginger, coriander, cumin, salt,
- pepper and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10
- minutes or until apricots are tender. Transfer to a bowl; stir in
- lemon juice. Let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Season both sides of duck with salt and pepper. In a large skillet,
- saute duck, skin side down, in oil until skin is browned; turn and
- cook for 1 minute. Set aside 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Place duck on a greased rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness
- (for medium, a meat thermometer should read 165°; well-done
- For orange sauce, saute garlic in reserved drippings for 1 minute.
- Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until reduced by half. In a
- bowl, combine the cornstarch, orange juice, broth and orange peel
- until blended. Stir into wine mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter
- and basil; whisk until smooth. Remove skin from duck if desired
- before slicing. Serve with orange sauce and chutney.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 4 ounces equals 525 calories, 30 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.