To liven up ordinary broccoli, our Test Kitchen tops the tender spears with a special wine sauce. The light topping coats the broccoli nicely without being overpowering. Experiment by sampling the sauce on other vegetables.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and broccoli to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1/4 cup
- butter until onions are tender. Add wine or broth; bring to a boil
- over high heat. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from
- the heat. Stir in cream and remaining butter.
- Drain broccoli and place in a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 215 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.