Down Home Hush Puppies
Hush puppies is a classic side served at many get-togethers in the south. The sweet and spicy flavor has delighted friends and family for decades.Gene Pitts, Wilsonville, Alabama
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Add egg and
- buttermilk; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Set aside at
- room temperature for 30 minutes. Do not stir again.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 2-3 in. of oil to
- 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time,
- into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each
- side. Drain on paper towels.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 89 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium,