Double-Nut Stuffed Figs
We have a diabetic in the family and this recipe is healthy and nutritious without compromising all the flavor of a holiday dessert. —Bob Bailey, Columbus, Ohio
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 36 dried Calimyrna figs
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 7 tablespoons agave nectar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Remove stems from figs. Cut an “X” in the top of each fig, about 2/3
- of the way down; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the pecans,
- walnuts, 3 tablespoons agave nectar, cocoa, cinnamon and cloves;
- spoon into figs. Arrange in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray.
- Combine the pomegranate juice, lemon juice and remaining agave
- nectar; drizzle over figs. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and
- baste with cooking liquid. Bake, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until
- nuts are toasted. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed fig equals 98 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium,