Dilly Pickled Asparagus
These dilled spears are really popular with my family. My granddaughter always says, "Oh, Grammy, these are soooo good!" They're easy to prepare and turn out perfect every time. My husband loves it when I add a dried hot pepper to each jar.
Fenelon Falls, Ontario
48 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 20 min.
- 6 pounds fresh asparagus
- 3 large garlic cloves, halved
- 6 teaspoons dill seed
- 6 teaspoons mustard seed
- 36 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 4-1/2-in. spears. Discard
- ends or save for another use. Place asparagus in a large container;
- cover with ice water. In each of six 1-pint jars, place half of a
- garlic clove, 1 teaspoon dill seed, 1 teaspoon mustard seed and six
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Drain asparagus; pack in jars to within 1/2 in. of top.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 19 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 446 mg sodium,