Dilly Beef Barley Soup
My mother and grandmother were wonderful cooks who taught me to create foods that were both attractive and full-flavored. This soup from Mom meets those requirements nicely.
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 3/4 cup dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine beans, peas, carrots, celery
- and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2
- hours. Add beef, onions, barley and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat
- and beans are tender. Add potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes. Add
- dill, salt if desired and pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Yield: 15
- servings (3-3/4 quarts).