Dilled Leek Soup
This recipe came from a friend who received it from a chef who worked in a popular restaurant in Toronto in the late 70's. I adjusted it to suit my family's taste and it was a hit!Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- Grated Parmesan cheese and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onions in butter until tender. Stir
- in mustard. Add the broth, potatoes, dill weed, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream and fresh dill; heat through.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and additional nutmeg if desired.
- Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 146 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 411 mg sodium,