Depression Meat Loaf
This recipe really does date back to the 1930's. The secret to its "just-right" texture? It's all in the mixing process. You won't believe that such a grand meat loaf can be created from so few humble ingredients...until you try it for yourself!Violet Heaton, Portland, Oregon
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 slices bread
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread. Let stand until the milk is
- absorbed. Add onion, salt and pepper. Stir with fork until bread
- softens and is light and fluffy. Mix in ground beef. In a shallow
- baking dish, shape into a 7-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf. Bake at
- 350° for 50 minutes or until no pink remains.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.