These rich, cheesy potatoes are perfect for a large family gathering or a potluck supper.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 55 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 9 medium potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely shred. In a saucepan, heat the milk,
- cream, salt, mustard, pepper and nutmeg over medium heat until
- bubbles form around side of pan. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring
- until melted.
- Place potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour cheese
- sauce over potatoes. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 282 calories, 19 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.