Deli Monte Cristos
Looking for a change from the typical Reuben or grilled cheese? “This was a famous sandwich in the islands years ago,” notes Darlene Vanwie of Clayton, New York. “We make it often, and I always get requests for more. Serve warm with your favorite pickles,” she suggests.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 2 thin slices deli turkey
- 2 tablespoons deli coleslaw
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs
- On two slices of bread, layer a slice of ham and turkey, coleslaw,
- salad dressing and cheese. Top with remaining ham and bread. In a
- shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Dip both sides of sandwiches in eggs.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches
- over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 2 servings.