Deli Beef Heros
Marinated artichokes, caramelized onions and green olives add loads of flavor to these crusty roast beef sandwiches. They're also good with pastrami or corned beef. —Cameron Byrne, Riverton, Wyoming
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 French bread baguettes (10-1/2 ounces each), split
- 1 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 2 jars (7-1/2 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 2 jars (7-1/2 ounces each) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 15-20
- minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, olives and garlic
- in a food processor. Cover and process until blended. Spread over
- baguettes. Layer bread bottoms with roast beef, peppers, artichokes
- and caramelized onions; replace tops. Cut each into six slices.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 459 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium,