This recipe has been in the family for generations. I'm not surprised at its popularity, because it can be used in a variety of ways. We especially like it served over pound cake and gingerbread or simply topped with fresh strawberries.
21 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, cook and stir milk and sugar until
- sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of
- hot milk mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring
- constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° or is thick
- enough to coat a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature,
- stirring several times. Transfer to a bowl; press a piece of waxed
- paper or plastic wrap on top of custard. Refrigerate. Serve over
- gingerbread or pound cake. Yield: about 8-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 155 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein.