- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour
- filling into crust.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until high stiff peaks form and sugar
- is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing to crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a
- wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before
- serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 371 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.