- For filling, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir
- in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a
- small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter, extract and food coloring if
- desired. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled,
- about 2 hours. Just before serving, spoon filling into meringue
- shells. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 filled meringue equals 246 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.