Curried Sweet Potato Chowder
The flavor of curry is subtle in this creamy, comforting chowder. For fun, I sometimes sprinkle individual servings with pumpkin or sunflower kernels.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place 2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add sweet potatoes. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In another large
- saucepan, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in the milk until smooth. Add the sweet potatoes and
- onions. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in peas and cream; heat through (do not boil).
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 563 mg sodium,