Curried Lentil Soup
Curry gives a different taste sensation to this chili-like soup from Christina Till of South Haven, Michigan. "It's delicious with a dollop of sour cream," she reports. "My family welcomes it with open arms- and watering mouths."
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover
- and cook on low for 8 hours or until vegetables and lentils are
- tender. Season with salt if desired. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10
- servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 169 calories, 150 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 34 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm protein, 1 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetables.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.