Currant Tea Bread
This rich and flavorful bread is a favorite old-time recipe. Because it keeps well and goes great with coffee or tea, I like to have an extra loaf on hand for gifts or for friends who come to call over the holidays.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk and lemon peel.
- Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed
- mixture and mix well. Stir in currants.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 239 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.