Currant Jelly Scones
These golden goodies dotted with festive red jelly are rich, light-textured and delicious. Plus, they're quick and easy to prepareno kneading is required.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoons currant jelly
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in
- butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, cream
- and orange peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into
- eight wedges. Do not separate wedges. Make a thumbprint in each
- wedge, about 1/4 in. deep. Fill indentation with jelly. Bake at
- 400° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 276 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.