Cucumbers in Cream
"WE HAD an enormous vegetable garden, so we enjoyed freshly picked cucumbers in summer. After the cucumber were sliced and soaked awhile in salt water. Mother added thick cream, which she carefully scooped from the top of some fresh milk."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a bowl, combine cucumbers, onion, water and salt. Let stand for 1
- hour; drain and rinse. In a serving bowl, beat cream, sugar and
- vinegar. Add cucumbers and onion; toss gently. Sprinkle with parsley
- if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 126 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.