Cucumber Tomato Salad
My mother always made this salad, so I tried it on my future husband when we were courting. I discovered later that he didn't like vinegar in his foods, but he learned to enjoy this salad and called it piccalilli.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced and quartered
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber and onions. In a small
- bowl, combine the sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in the vinegar and
- water. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 23 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.