The Cuban sandwich is a twist on the old ham and cheese, usually with ham, Swiss, pickles, condiments and in this hearty version, smoked turkey. —Janet Sanders, Pine Mountain, Georgia
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices artisan bread
- 8 thick slices deli smoked turkey
- 4 slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 12 dill pickle slices
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small skillet, cook and stir garlic in oil over medium-high heat
- until tender. Cool.
- Stir garlic into mayonnaise; spread over bread slices. Layer 4 slices
- of bread with turkey, ham, cheese, pickles and spinach; close
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until
- browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 panini equals 545 calories, 27 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,526 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.