Crunchy Kraut Salad
Anyone who likes sauerkraut will enjoy this salad. I serve it as a side dish with ham, any kind of sausage or a sandwich.
-Mrs. J.B. Culwell, Arlington, Texas
2-3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large serving bowl, combine the sauerkraut, celery, green pepper
- and onion; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and vinegar
- to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Pour over sauerkraut mixture;
- sprinkle with celery seed. Toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1
- hour. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 170 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.