Crunchy Green Beans
Green beans taste terrific all by themselves, but my mom has managed to improve on Mother Nature! She adds mushrooms, celery and crisp slivered almonds to dress up the popular green vegetable.
-Becky Brunette, Minneapolis, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 1-1/3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute celery and mushrooms in oil
- until tender. Combine the cornstarch, cold water and soy sauce until
- smooth; gradually stir into celery mixture. Stir in bouillon. bring
- to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until
- thickened. Drain beans and add to the celery mixture. Stir in
- almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 151 calories, 12 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.