Crumb-Topped Summer Squash Casserole
"Whenever I'm invited to a potluck, I'm specifically asked to bring this warm crumb-topped side dish," explains Vicki Wrona from Grand Prairie, Texas. "No one realizes how nutritious it is."
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 small yellow summer squash (3 pounds), cut into chunks
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover
- with water. Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until
- tender. Drain well, pressing squash to remove excess liquid. In a
- bowl, mash squash. Stir in eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, sugar, onion,
- salt and pepper until blended.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, 20 minutes. Toss remaining bread crumbs with butter;
- sprinkle over the top. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 101 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium,