Crumb-Topped Date Bars
The basic dough doubles as a shortbread-like crust and crumbly topping for these sweet date bars shared by Gloria.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups Basic Cookie Dough
- In a saucepan, bring the dates, sugar, water and lemon juice to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Press half of the cookie dough into a greased 9-in. square baking
- pan. Spread with date mixture. Crumble remaining dough over
- filling. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.