“Spaetzle is a cross between a curly noodle and a small dumpling. It's a traditional German accompaniment to all types of roasts, especially sauerbraten.”
—Patricia Rutherford, Winchester, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Whisk in eggs and milk until
- Fill a large stockpot three-fourths full with water; bring to a boil.
- With a rubber spatula, press dough through a colander into boiling
- water. Cook and stir gently for 4-5 minutes or until spaetzle float
- and are tender.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter. With a slotted spoon, transfer
- spaetzle to a large bowl; add crumb mixture and toss to coat. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 363 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 603 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.