MY FAVORITE time to visit my grandmother was when she'd just taken her crumb cake out of the oven. A warm piece of that cake with a cold glass of milk was the best treat.
I remember Grandma was able to simply look at the batter and know if it was right...and it was perfect every time.
-Kathy Lucas, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with
- buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack
- to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners'
- sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: Wrap pieces of cake individually and freeze for a quick dessert.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 333 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 338 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.