Crispy French Toast
Field editor Flo Burtnett, Gage, Oklahoma, lightens up her golden French toast with egg substitute and skim milk, then flavors it with orange juice, vanilla and a dash of nutmeg. The cornflake coating adds a fun crunch.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 12 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- In a shallow dish, combine the egg substitute, milk, orange juice,
- vanilla and nutmeg. Add bread; soak for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Coat both sides of each slice with cornflake crumbs.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking
- spray. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes; turn. Bake 5-8 minutes
- longer or until golden brown. Yield: 12 slices.
Nutrition Facts: One slice equals 147 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.