Crispy Caramel Treats
Kids love these triple-decker treats for the holidays-or any time at all. I always make several batches because my neighbors can't seem to get enough of them.
30 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup plus 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter and 4 cups marshmallows;
- stir until smooth. Stir in 4 cups cereal. Pat into a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. pan; set aside.
- For caramel filling, place the caramels and 10 tablespoons butter in
- another saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Stir in
- the milk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes; pour over cereal layer.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter and marshmallows. Stir
- in remaining cereal. Spread over caramel layer. Cover and
- refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 223 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.