Crisp Sunflower Cookies
"This is the 'Sunflower State', and these crisp cookies feature sunflower seeds," says Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas.
30 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup salted sunflower kernels
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, baking
- powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the
- oats, coconut and sunflower kernels.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for
- 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 197 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.