"This speedy recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember," shares Betty Bernat of Littleton, New Hampshire. "Because it relies on pantry staples, it's easy to make when you can't decide what to fix for dinner," At 48 cents a serving, it's economical besides."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir
- in the flour, sugar, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add
- milk, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes. Add tuna and Creole seasoning; heat through.
- Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note:The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 160 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.