Creamy Vegetable Soup
"This blended soup makes a great first course for a special meal," says field editor Valerie Jones of Portland, Maine.
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-low heat, saute carrots,
- onion, celery, potatoes, garlic and sugar in oil for 5 minutes. Add
- broth, nutmeg and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Puree in batches
- in a blender or food processor. Return to the kettle and heat
- through. Yield: 4 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth) equals 136 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch,